and remedies come in various forms and very in background, effectiveness and ease of use such as silicone gel sheets, pure
silicone sheet, silicone liquid/gel/cream based applications and non-silicone scar cream.
Syprex Skin Science
offers SyCream scar and stretch mark cream, a non-silicone scar cream that works on hypertrophic and keloid scars as well
as burns, bites, indented scars caused by acne or other injuries.
Scar creams offer a scar reduction solution
that is convenient and easy to use. SyCream blends in quickly and only a small amount is needed once or twice a day to begin
seeing changes that occur faster (30-50% less time) than silicone gel such as Neosporin Scar Solution, Retouch, Scar Fx, Scarfix,
Novagel, Cica Care, or pure silicone scar sheets such as ReJuveness or Syprex Scar Sheet alone. SyCream claims to work
faster as well as being the leading treatment for acne scars and offers a superior scar remedy when used under any silicone
scar sheet. ReJuveness also offers a similar scar cream to Syprex's scar cream.
While sunscreen is important to cover a scar with, it is unclear what benefit scarcreams, whose active
ingredient is a sunscreen, has over conventional and inexpensive sunscreens that are widely available.
Vitamin E is not recommended for treating scars. It has been shown in studies to be
ineffective and may cause an allergic reaction in over 30% of those using it in the scar study.
Onion extract was not shown to be effective in a study performed by Mederma and in some cases made the
scar worse. Additional studies have shown onion extract unable to improve scars. Products containing onion extract or allium
cepa should not be considered as an effective scar treatment.
Steroid injections have
proven effective in older scars.
New Information: New studies support
TGF-beta3, control of aptosis(cell death) and intracellular signaling as latest in treating scars or PKC - protein kinase
C inhabition. Formulations that contain ceremides or sphingoid bases AND able to penetrate the stratum corneum(outer
layer of skin) or deeper may provide the most effective in scar management technology.
Scar Treatment and Scar Cream List and active ingredient(s)
Scar Cream & Syprex Pure Silicone Sheet syprex.com/scars.cfm Extensive line of scar treatments.
- Cica Care - Silicone gel sheets cicacare.com
- Biodermis - Silicone liquid, gel and gel sheets. One of the oldest scar treatments
- Mederma - Onion extract
- Scar Heal - Scar Cream containing
many ingredients including Dimethicone(silicone), Onion extract, Glucosamine. Addtional Scar Cream product is RejuvaScar
containing Hydrocortisone and dimethicone(silicone).
- Scar Fx (See Scar Heal above) Silicone
- ReJuveness - Pure silicone scar sheet rejuveness.ca Scar Cream (same ingredients as SyCream) Hyper Heal scar cream
- Dermaheal - Offers same
products as ReJuveness - Same scar cream and silicone scar sheet (see SyCream Scar Cream and Syprex) www.dermaheal.com
- Scar Zone - Sun screen scarzone.com
- Tru Derm - Sun screen altcancer.silvermedicine.org/truderm.htm
- Dermablend - Sunscreen and coverup/makeup(Not a scar treatment) www.dermablend.com
- Kelo Cote - Silicone liquid
- Neosporin Scar Solution -
- Scarfix - Silicone Gel Sheet and Cream www.Scarfix.ca
- ScarRedux - (See Scarfix above) www.scarRedux.com
- Scar Esthetique - Copper Peptides(increases collogen production-not good for raised scars)Arnica(homeopathic
aid but affects are negated when used with other ingredients)Onion Extract, dimethecone and more. Not clear on how effective
since some ingredients are counter productive to others. Has before and after pictures.
- RejuvaSil Scar
Reduction - Dimethicone, Emu Oil, Squalene, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vit C)
- Many herbal ingredients. Not clear how effective but may provide some benefit through, though unproven, ingredients.
- Oleeva - Silicone gel sheet with fabric backing to keep it from falling apart with use.
- Derma E - Onion Extract, allantoin, DL-Panthenol